We know that writing can be stressful for many students of all ability levels and having experienced consultants to help you clarify and focus your work is an invaluable asset. Whether you have a full draft or are just getting started, working with a writing consultant helps demystify the writing process, combat procrastination, clarify ideas, and build confidence in your work. These resources can guide you toward getting started at the Writing Center.
- Help writers help themselves. We help people become better writers by working with them at any stage of the writing process. No matter if you’re brainstorming topics or polishing your final draft, we’re here to help.
- Serve as interested readers who are here to give as much constructive feedback as we can. The Writing Center is not just a place for “problem” papers. We’re here for all levels of writing.
- Work with writers for 25- or 50-minute sessions, depending on availability and needs.
- Provide a great place to work, with available resources, even if you do not have an appointment.
“Fix papers,” write papers, proofread, edit, or otherwise “pre-grade” drafts. Although consultants do not proofread or edit papers, they do help students learn strategies for improving their ability to proofread and edit. Consultants do not have all the answers, but they are patient and willing to listen—and they know how to use handbooks, style manuals, and online resources.
On campus, writers work with writing consultants in 25- or 50- minutes sessions. This appointment type works well for all stages of the writing process.
This appointment type works well when you already have a working draft.
Don’t have an appointment? Walk in to check availability.
All students are welcome to work on their writing in the writing center and utilize the available resources there, even if they do not have an appointment.
Writers should come prepared to work and to talk about their writing.
We’ll ask you what you want to work on in the session, and we’ll follow your lead to make sure we cover what you want to cover. If we see something in a draft that needs attention, we’ll alert you to it, but we’ll also ask if that is something you want to work on. Believing strongly that writers build on their strengths, we’ll also be sure to point out the strong points of your work.
Sessions can focus on:
- Understanding an assignment sheet
- Developing ideas
- Planning an essay
- Revising work through the process of reading a draft together
- Addressing other writing concerns.
Writing consultants are available for face-to-face and for online (asynchronous) appointments. Writing consultants strive to make sure writers’ questions are answered and that you leave with a plan for continuing your work. Writers are also invited to make follow-up appointments, either with the same consultant or someone new.
So that the tutors can help you most effectively, please bring:
- The assignment sheet or prompt if there is one
- Any notes or drafts toward the project
- Any questions you have
- Recent feedback from your professor, if available
- A readiness to work with the consultant
We are here to assist everyone with their academic writings, papers, articles, and reports in any subject at any stage of the writing process.
Our trained writing tutors can help you with your writing tasks such as choosing a topic, formulating a thesis, generating ideas, organizing an outline, assessing paragraph development, documenting sources, and revising sentence structure, grammar, word choice, and punctuation.
We suggest that you come early in the writing process and book proactively for upcoming papers.
We will not edit or proofread for you, but we will help you do that yourself. The great news is that we are free—there is no charge for our services.
The writing tutor will seek to provide a safe, motivating environment.
We look forward to working with you!
Face-to-face/online working hours:
Monday - Friday: 15:30-17:30
Saturday- Sunday: Closed
Telephone: 0312 386 1092